This week was spent on having the apprentices each develop a motif based on our mood board (and they voted on the title of the collection "Electric Rollers"). They then spent quite a bit of time developing different colorways and repeat patterns with their motifs. After sketching ideas out, we held a critique and as a group we decided which of the sketch-ideas each apprentice was going to move forward with. I was surprised at the quality and consideration put into the end motif design. Since they are so cool, I am getting excited to see if the apprentices can actually translate these design from paper to a painted project!
Thursday went quite well, but on Friday the apprentices were really socialable and chatty and I became a little concerned about how much work was getting done. I kind of think that maybe the background music had something to do with it- like, with music playing, it made the atmosphere more social rather than "professional" space. And also they are really starting to know each other know and all seem quite comfortable mixing in on each other's conversations. So that could be it too. Also- it was a Friday.
As far as progress, after me putting the pressure on, a majority of the apprentices came close to finishing drawing out all their patterns, but no one completed the final task (coloring in the top halves). Which is OK, they can go back and finish that up next time they finish a task early. While the initial schedule had us going through flat illustration this week, I'm not concerned that we'll fall behind, now that I know we have the week of mid-point evaluations to do work as well.
Saturday, February 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment